Originally settled in the mid 1800's, prior to the Civil War, the city went on to prosper and developed into a thriving community. A document written in 1889 describes a little of the history of the area. The first school, the Pleasant Hope Academy, was built in 1849 and ceased to exist in 1855.Later, around 1883, the "PLEASANT HOPE NORMAL ACADEMY" was established as a permanent school. The first general store was located here in 1851 and by 1889 an implement and grocery store, a drug store, a blacksmith shop and a wagon-maker's shop were added. Later in the same year a flour mill was constucted with a carding mill attached......
PLEASANT HOPE circa 2009:
VISION -To be a community which embraces the changing needs and expectations of our citizens through respect for people, preserving the friendly enviroment, and creating a prosperous and safe community.
MISSION- To be a fiscally stable municipal government and provide a progressive foundation and enhance the quality of life, attracting small business, fulfilling education and recreation opportunities for all, and by utilizing neighborhoods as the building blocks of the City of Pleasant Hope.
EXTERNAL VALUES-To be a family oriented and culturally active community, to promote business vitality and to value quality of life.
Taken from an old newspaper article, date unknown, it reads:
Description of Pleasant Hope.
Pleasant is situated in the south east corner of Polk Co. The town was commenced in 1851. The two first residences of Pleasant Hope was built in 1851 by J. B. Kerr and J. W. Smith, third by W. D. Cowden and the fourth in 1852 by W. R. Saye.
Dr. Dunhorn settled at Pleasant Hope in 1858, and Elijah Roberds in 1857. The first blacksmith shop in Pleasant Hope was run by J. B. Kerr, the second by W. R. Patterson in 1860. A wood shop was run in 1860 by B. T. Emerson. W. D. Cowden erected a carding machine in 1853. The first High School was taught by Miss A. E. Sawier of Vermont, in 1850, the second by Miss Nelson in 1852; the third by Miss Wale in 1858. The second store was run by J. A. Cowden and his brother, 1856-61. J. A. Cowden run a store at Pleasant Hope for M. M. McClure and Co. of Springfield til 1865. J. A. Patterson and N. Macy run a store in 1866-70. After the war the first high school was taught by Prof. Grigsby in 1870; the next by Prof. Lemon in 1871. The first steam mill was built in 1872 by W. F Allbright and Company.